Shopping Haul from Pratunam, Bangkok

Bangkok is known to be one of Asia's top shopping destinations. Especially when it comes to buying stylish clothing in wholesale. And I could really attest to the fact that Pratunam Market in Bangkok really sells a lot of inexpensive clothes. But the trick is buying in three or more to get a cheaper price.

I was able to try shopping in both Pratunam Night Market and Early Morning Market in Pratunam.

PRATUNAM NIGHT MARKET

Pratunam Night Market was located outside Centara Hotel in Bangkok. From there, countless stalls sell anything from Women's clothing, customized passports, bags, men's replica watches just to name a few. Souvenirs were sold there as well and that was the time when I mostly bought the souvenirs I brought home to give to family and friends. I don't have pictures though. But I remember that 10 keychains costs 100 Baht; 15 Pencils that has "THAILAND" on it costs 100 Baht as well, three small wooden Elephants (the animal that is known to symbolize Thailand) costs 100 Baht; and three ref magnets costs 100 Baht. Okay so basically each type of souvenir and of different quantities costs around 100 Baht. And this was already the bargained price.


Short VLOG of me and Ann shopping at the night market - five purses for 100 Baht. (not bad)




Also at the Pratunam Night Market, I heavily shopped for BAGS. There were LOTSSSS of bags of all shapes, sizes and designs that were to die for! Here's a VLOG I made showcasing the bags I bought that night. And might I add that I kind of had a hard time bringing all these bags back to the Philippines (they wouldn't all fit in Mark's luggage. Lol!) So I had to hand carry them.




It was also at the night market that I bought customized Passport holders to give to my sister and best friend. Mark and I also bought customized passport holders for ourselves as well. Not bad for 100 Baht each. We got to choose the color of the passport holder and the name to be placed on the passport holder was already free. We didn't get the other thingamajig add-ons that cost 20 Baht each. We wanted ours with just our names on them.



PRATUNAM EARLY MORNING MARKET


Mark and I woke up extra early just to shop at the morning Market, which was located outside the Indra Regent Hotel. I heard that vendors were already there by 5 in the Morning but Mark and I went there around 6 am.  Now the early morning market was indeed a challenge. It was a maze full of stalls selling different styles of clothing. 

I learned a lot while spending a few hours shopping there. First, the stalls located just opposite the Indra Regent hotel sell clothes at a higher price than those that are located inside the alleys. The logic of this is that the goods sold are the first ones being seen and hence, people just grab what they want and pay the price being offered. This is actually for those who aren't patient enough to check all the stalls one by one and for those who can't stand the heat inside the market. But in reality, there are more cheaper and more stylish clothes inside the market. It pays to be patient and gotta have the willingness to brave the alleys and the crowd.

Another thing that I learned is the importance of buying in bulk. It's nice to bring a friend who shares the same passion about shopping as you do. In my case, I was with Mark and him being a guy, he does not at all share the same wants of style of clothing as I do. So I was basically shopping solo and I had to buy in bulk for myself. Haha! Because buying in bulk, and by that I mean buying at least three from each stall, meant getting a bigger discount per item. I remember this dress that I saw that was sooooo pretty! When I asked for the price, the vendor said it was for 300 Baht, but if I buy two other dresses, it would be just for 200 Baht each. I didn't buy the dress because it was the only dress that I wanted in that stall. Paying 600 Baht for three dresses, with the two dresses not even my type was so not worth it. I could have saved if I had a friend or two who also wanted to purchase dresses on the same stall.

Another trick that I learned is the art of haggling. Thailand is known to be the Land of Smiles. It pays to smile during haggling. If they don't agree with the price you negotiated, smile, say no, and just walk away. Chances are that the vendors will run after you and give you the price you ask for. Just make sure it is reasonable. They still have to make money, you know. The more items being bought in one store, the more the vendors allow you to haggle some more. And there's no reason to be rude to the vendors as well.

Here's a VLOG about some of the clothes I bought in Pratunam.




Aside from Pratunam, I was also able to go to three other malls. But I didn't shop there because the prices were higher and the clothes being sold were just the same as the ones I saw in Pratunam. But if you're the type of person who can't withstand a place without aircon, shopping in malls is definitely the place to be. Just don't expect Pratunam rates though. Somebody has to pay for the aircon and it's not going to be the mall tenants. They have to pass it on to the consumers.

Outside Platinum Shopping Mall - located opposite Amari Watergate Hotel



Outside Central World Mall

Dinner at Terminal 21 Mall with our friend, Sharen

This has got to be one of the coolest malls I have ever been to. Each floor has a themed city like San Francisco, London and others.



So I am definitely going back to Bangkok for another round of sight-seeing and of course, shopping! I am in the process of convincing my best friend to go with us next time. Haha.

xoxo,

AVI

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top